Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Boards With History


July, 2013
PART II

I get my skate decks used from a local pop skate shop, sand them down, but still leaving a few grooves from tricks the skater did on the board. I love the fact that these boards have visited a lot places, rad spots, have performed some amazing tricks, and some amazing falls too. This is the reason I call these "Boards With History". A very nostalgic thought and connection for me in particular. Plus the boards get a second chance at being reincarnated as art pieces.
When someone purchases one of my skateboards, they also get a little history underneath the artwork. 

-Amia




A couple of years ago a friend gave me this little refrigerator magnet. It says, over the background of one of Jackson Pollock's drip paintings, "Never Apologize For Your Art." I love this quote and I look at it every time I open my refrigerator door. Very encouraging. Now all that to say this. I will never apologize for my art. BUT. I will let someone know when I think it sucks or I executed it poorly from my mind to the canvas as I felt I did on this piece, Fryerstarter. I wasn't happy with it from the finish and after finally getting some time to sand down the red sphere and redo Bob's Donuts in a simple fresh font... I am happy. And as my hero Jackson Pollock once said, "Sometimes I lose a painting. But I have no fear of changes, of destroying the image, because a painting has a life of its own. I kind of let it live."

 photo FRYERSTARTERAMIAART_zps46911618.jpg


_________________________________________________________



2012
PART I


"Let me put you up on Bob's Donuts, controller of the warm deep fryer that charms cobras..." -Fryerstarter


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket  Photobucket Photobucket
FRYERSTARTER
Acrylic on Skateboard
2012

So I've been back in the 'studio' which consists of
where ever I can lay my artwork. I've been
working on a new board design that I thought
you might like to see as it progressed in
increments of time during these past couple
of weeks. 

The basic reference to this board is based on
one of Aesop Rock's songs, Fryerstarter, from
his new album Skelethon which is so good by
the way.  


To view other boards I've done visit: AmiaArt.com