Friday, November 12, 2010

A PROGRESSION OF BONO

4/2009

So currently I'm doing a commissioned piece of Bono (a gifting) and thought some may enjoy seeing a work in progress. I typically don't sketch (this actually being my 3rd time) and as many of you know, I've had no formal training which leaves me to a thought process of my own to figure out how to put this amazing guy on canvas. U2 has been apart of my life since the 80's so this brings a lot of meaning to me.


13 hours have been put into this piece so far and is still a work
in progress...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now that a few showings have passed, I've been able to sit down (in daily increments) and continue with the progress of this work. As you can see in the following photos, I've concentrated on the detail of shadow and lighting to add depth. I've used acrylic and impasto on certain sections such as creases and seams in his jacket, hair and sunglasses as well as adding some color to the shades in which Bono usually wears. I thought about adding more color, but felt it too much. The amber gives it just enough pop. I've also
painted the background white which makes Bono come forward a bit. This piece will be framed in a simple mod black frame. The new owner will be very pleased.
The hours of accumulated are now at 22.
Now to go frame hunting...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

blogspot
BONO
16X20
Pencil, charcoal, acrylic & impasto on canvas.
Kamar varnish.


The frame was found and Mr. Hewson has been shipped to 
his new home. I'm thinking I should have kept the piece for myself!