Thursday, November 11, 2010

JOSE' PARLA'/THE MYSTIC WRITING PAD

10/2006

OCTOBER 2006/Jose' Parla'!

Just this last week I was most fortunate to stumble across an absolute TREMENDOUS artist!
I was inspired so deeply by him and his work that I told a friend, I could have literally crawled out of my skin.

Straight up from Brooklyn, world renoun 33 yr. old, Jose' Parla', was and is the featured artist for the month of October @ The Koehler Gallery. On display are his works from a series entitled, "The Mystic Writing Pad."

Although being labeled as a graffiti artist, during his speech/lecture, Jose' says he considers himself more of a calligraphy painter. You can definitely see the beautifully elegant handwriting in his work, as well as the textures and layers which represent many of his personal experiences, travels and stories.

He uses a variety of canvas (Asian pottery, billboards, barns, leather, rugs, etc...) Very cool stuff.
He was also very kind, humble and down to earth I must add. Definitely worth checking out! (www.joseparla.com)

*I had no camera when I went to the exhibit, but went back another day to shoot some photos. Amazing! Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket