Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"A WEED OR NOT A WEED. THAT IS THE QUESTION."

6/24/07
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I am washing dishes.

Through the window I notice an odd sight that keeps my attention.

Perched tall like little soldiers in the gravel and sprouting alongside the curb, stand weeds with a peculiar confidence and pretty yellow blooms.

I'm in awe for a few moments at the sight.

No one had planted the seeds, yet they had sprouted up out of nowhere.

I thought, 'If there's ever been anything misunderstood in nature, it must have been the unwanted, tenacious, stubborn, annoying weed.'

I then went on a small weed hunt in which I didn't have to go far.

There were a couple of questions that came to mind. (humor me):

*When was the very first record of the weed and who called it that?
hmm...

*Who labeled the weed a nuisance?
Maybe grass is the real plague, yet we choose to keep it.

*Why do weeds bloom fetching yellow, white, even purple flowers?
It must be a decoy or defense mechanism so we wont uproot it. (how clever a plant).

I think I may have understood them for just a moment.

I have to say though, whenever I see a dandelion, there is an uncontrollable urge to pick it and blow........